With the “Support Programme for HIV Positive Detainees and Ex Detainees” in Athens and Thessaloniki, Centre for Life continues its efforts to defend the human rights of HIV positive detainees, by offering legal, social and psychological assistance, with the kind support of Open Society Foundations (OSF).
The main goal of the intervention made by the representatives of Centre for Life is to provide an integrated approach to the legal support and social inclusion, based on the legal framework and the conditions in Greek detention facilities. In addition, the scientific staff of the Organization provides health education interventions for the general population of prisoners, as well as for prison officers. Meanwhile, social, employment, as well as counseling support is being offered to HIV-positive ex detainees, thus enhancing the social reintegration system.
The programme is provided for free in two languages (Greek & English) and includes, among others, the following services:
- Support offered by a qualified social worker concerning the social entitlements of HIV-positive prisoners (i.e. ensuring treatment, benefits, etc.)
- Support offered by a qualified psychologist, in order to take care of their physical and mental health
- Legal counseling with regard to the particular rights of HIV-positive detainees
- Social, psychological and legal support during the time of their release
- Information and support for their families and partners
Through the implementation of this programme, Centre for Life seeks the greatest possible reduction of social inequalities experienced by detainees and ex-detainees in general, and more specifically by those positive to HIV. Meanwhile, the respective problems of the relative population are being highlighted, aiming at the eradication and the combat of social stigma. Finally, the creation of a cooperation network between state agencies, units for Infectious Diseases Hospitals and independent authorities (such as the Greek Ombudsman and the Hellenic Data Protection Authority) is being enhanced, in order to manage an integrated recording and addressing of the violations.
- 1996-2008: Weekly volunteer group visits at the “Agios Pavlos” prison hospital and the Women’s prison of Korydallos – more than 300 detainees were supported
- 2010-2011: Social and Psychological Support Programme at the “Agios Pavlos” prison hospital and the Women’s prison of Korydallos – 50 detainees were supported
- 2011: Submission of a report before the Greek Ombudsman, regarding the conditions of detention of 28 HIV positive persons, who were detained in the “Agios Pavlos” hospital of Korydallos prison: http://www.synigoros.gr/resources/ekthesi-autopsias.pdf
- 2008-2010 & 2011-2016: We provided with basic necessities (calling cards, clothes, personal hygiene items etc.) 300 detainees, while we offered legal support to 5 prisoners.
- March 2016: Social and Legal Support Programme for HIV Positive Detainees at the “Agios Pavlos” prison, the “Diavata” detention facility, the Women’s prison of Thiva, as well as at the department of foreigners in Petrou Ralli and in Thessaloniki.
Tel: 210 72 33 848 – 2310 23 70 40
With the kind support: